We encourage all our eligible patients to have this second booster. Unfortunately we are not offering the vaccine here at the medical centre, but there are lots of vaccination centres available in our area. They are available form Tuesday 28th June. You can book online or find a walk in centre here: https://bookmyvaccine.covid19.health.nz/ or call 0800 28 29 26.
Second Covid Boosters are now recommended for those at increased risk of severe illness from COVID-19, a prescription is not needed for this. This is due a minimum of 6 months after a first booster. For those who are not considered at risk of severe illness from COVID-19, a two-dose primary course and a booster dose provides very good protection against severe illness from COVID-19.
The following people are recommended to receive a second booster as a priority:
- people aged 65 years and over
- Māori and Pacific peoples aged 50 years and over
- residents of aged care and disability care facilities
- severely immunocompromised people who received a three-dose primary course and a fourth dose as a first booster (noting this would be a fifth dose for these people)
- people aged 16 years and over who have a medical condition that increases the risk of severe breakthrough COVID-19 illness and
- people aged 16 years and over who live with disability with significant or complex health needs or multiple comorbidities.
In addition, a second booster is available for:
- all people aged over 50 years
- health, aged care and disability workers aged over 30 years.